We have effective organizational and leadership structures to guide sustainability in our operations.
Our sustainability pillars
Sustainability means doing the right thing, with an eye toward the long run. Our sustainability strategy looks into the future, promoting responsible company growth through the economic, social and environmental decisions we make today. Because it touches on all six of our Values, sustainability factors into every one of those major decisions.
That’s why sustainability is built into how we provide energy. Our long-term strategic plan includes carbon reductions and the expansion of renewable energy. But we also recognize that our company’s growth depends on the support of strong, thriving communities in which we serve. And we know that investing in the personal development and well-being of our employees brings value many times over.
Achieving balance has always been integral to our company’s operations. Our energy vision and strategy embraces four guiding principles that are grounded in sustainability:
- Implementing innovative customer solutions
- Advancing clean energy
- Building a smarter, stronger power grid
- Strengthening our communities
All of these sustainable principles are part of “powering beyond,” which will transform, grow and optimize our business well into the future.
We engage in sustainability at all levels and in all departments of the company because of its importance to our company, our values and our strategy. Our system of governance helps us most effectively integrate sustainability throughout the organization.
Our company publishes this Corporate Sustainability Report to share our story, progress and plans. We welcome suggestions from our stakeholders on the content of this report to improve its usefulness.
Board of Directors
- Responsible for overseeing our vision and mission, strategic plan and overall corporate risk profile – including the impact climate and carbon risks and environmental policy have on these matters
- Consists of experienced and diverse members
- Consists of independent directors other than the Chief Executive Officer
Environmental Services and Corporate Sustainability Department
- Responsible for coordinating company sustainability initiatives and reporting
- Reports to Senior Vice President of Utility Operations
Operations Committee of the Board of Directors
- Responsible for overseeing environmental strategy and policy, including climate and carbon issues
- Reviews and approves the Corporate Sustainability Report
- Consists solely of independent directors
Sustainability Leadership Team
- Responsible for aligning and advancing sustainability throughout the company
- Provides guidance and direction on meaningful sustainability goals, fosters cross-functional collaboration, identifies and evaluates strategic sustainability opportunities, empowers innovative and creative ideas to drive sustainability, champions our sustainability priorities to enable integration throughout the company
- Consists of decision-makers from throughout all departments in the company
EEI ESG/Sustainability template
Alliant Energy is participating in an initiative by the Edison Electric Institute (EEI) to provide investor-focused environmental, social, and governance (ESG) sustainability-related information. The EEI template covers both qualitative and quantitative information, consisting of five focus areas: Governance, Strategy, Portfolio, Emissions and Resources.
The template was developed by EEI under the guidance of an ESG/Sustainability Steering Committee and an ESG/Sustainability Investor Group. Alliant Energy is a member of the EEI ESG/Sustainability Steering Committee.
The most recent version can be accessed below.