Learn about the many ways Alliant Energy is showing our commitment to sustainability.
Sustainability means doing the right thing with an eye toward the long run. Our sustainability strategy looks into the future, promoting responsible company growth through the economic, social and environmental decisions we make today. Because it touches on all five of our Core Values, sustainability factors into every one of those major decisions.
That’s why sustainability is built into how we provide energy. Our long-term strategic plan continues to include carbon reductions and the expansion of renewable energy. But we also recognize that our company’s growth depends on the support of strong, thriving communities in which we serve. And we know that investing in the personal development and well-being of our employees brings value many times over.
Achieving balance has always been integral to our company’s operations. Our energy vision and strategy embraces four guiding principles that are grounded in sustainability:
- Innovative customer solutions
- Advancing clean energy
- Building a smarter, stronger power grid
- Strengthening our communities
All of these sustainable goals are part of “powering beyond,” which will transform, grow and optimize our business well into the future.
Sustainability is not delegated to just one group of employees at Alliant Energy, it’s how we do business and embodied in our Mission and Core Values.
To further enhance our sustainability performance and provide for greater transparency, our company’s sustainability management provides for cross-functional representation, leadership and oversight.
Our company publishes this Corporate Sustainability Report to share our story, progress and plans. We welcome suggestions on the content of this report from our stakeholders to improve its usefulness.
Safety, Environmental, Policy and Operations Committee of the Board of Directors
- Comprised of solely independent directors
- Provides oversight of sustainability
- Approves this report
Environmental Services and Corporate Sustainability Department
- Coordinates company sustainability initiatives and reporting
- Reports to Senior Vice President of Utility Operations
Sustainability Leadership Team
- Consists of decision-makers from across the company
- Aligns and advances sustainability throughout the company
Access detailed information on our performance measures listed below in the full report:
- Water management
- Fossil fuel generation emissions
- Greenhouse gas reporting
- Renewable energy resources
- Coal combustion residuals management
- Environmental compliance
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) progress
- Energy efficiency
- Electric system reliability
- Natural gas system performance
- Employee safety performance
- Community giving
- Workforce and supplier diversity
- Research and development
2017 Corporate Sustainability Report
Our sustainability strategy looks into the future, promoting responsible company growth through the economic, social and environmental decisions we make today.